Greenbanks

While the site is adjacent to a listed building, this was a slightly atypical commission for me, although involved elements of new design aesthetics and sustainable building materials; both of which I have used in the historic environment context. I attained listed building consent for the current owner for the replacement of some modern external doors and the installation of a conservation rooflight and mechanical extract ventilation in the bathroom. While the extent of my commission was fairly minor in scale, it was great to work on a building of such a prominent and influential architect and with a direct connection to two building conservation pioneers.

I worked closely with a property owner to help them modify and partially redesign an existing scheme for a new dwelling. I subsequently re-applied for and attained planning permission for the revised design.

I then developed the approved planning drawings for Building Regulations, working with an independent Approved Inspector to attain Plans approval. The design involved a number of sustainable construction elements, including sedum roofing and wood fibre wall insulation, which necessitated careful detailing and periodic technical liaison with the client, who was a self-builder.

My 3D design model was particularly useful, not only in communicating the changes and initial re-design concepts to the client and planners, but also when communicating with the client, structural engineer and steel fabricator, during the design and manufacture of the building’s steel frame.

The scheme has recently been completed on site.

Project reference code 145.

Greenbanks

While the site is adjacent to a listed building, this was a slightly atypical commission for me, although involved elements of new design aesthetics and sustainable building materials; both of which I have used in the historic environment context. I attained listed building consent for the current owner for the replacement of some modern external doors and the installation of a conservation rooflight and mechanical extract ventilation in the bathroom. While the extent of my commission was fairly minor in scale, it was great to work on a building of such a prominent and influential architect and with a direct connection to two building conservation pioneers.

I worked closely with a property owner to help them modify and partially redesign an existing scheme for a new dwelling. I subsequently re-applied for and attained planning permission for the revised design.

I then developed the approved planning drawings for Building Regulations, working with an independent Approved Inspector to attain Plans approval. The design involved a number of sustainable construction elements, including sedum roofing and wood fibre wall insulation, which necessitated careful detailing and periodic technical liaison with the client, who was a self-builder.

My 3D design model was particularly useful, not only in communicating the changes and initial re-design concepts to the client and planners, but also when communicating with the client, structural engineer and steel fabricator, during the design and manufacture of the building’s steel frame.

The scheme has recently been completed on site.

Project reference code 145.